Work Permits

 At MSS we provide advice and assistance to companies and individuals with their applications for Work Permits.

 It is important to note that all applications for Work Permits are made to the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation and that a work permit is not an Entry Visa

 Entry Visas are issued by the Department of Foreign affairs

The Employment Permits Act was amended in October of 2014 and is up to date as of February 2016.

Ireland currently has two main work permit types.

(i) The General Employment Permit and

(ii) The Critical Skills Employment Permit.

 In addition to the 2 main types or permits there are also an additional 7 types of permission to work in Ireland.

 Who requires a Work Permit?

In general, non-EEA nationals must have an employment permit to work in Ireland. EEA and Swiss nationals do not need an employment permit. Under the Employment Permits Acts 2003–2014 there are 9 types of employment permit including a General Employment Permit, a Critical Skills Employment permit and a Dependant /Partner/Spouse Employment Permit

Applications for a permit can be made by either the employer or the employee and must be based on an offer of employment. Permits are issued to the employee and include a statement of the employee's rights and entitlements. An employee with an employment permit has all the employment rights of Irish or EEA citizens for the duration of the employment permit.

In general applications for General Employment Permits must have a minimum annual remuneration (pay) of €30,000. Remuneration includes the salary for the job and health insurance. Applications for jobs with annual pay of €27,000* are considered on an exceptional basis in certain cases:

Offer of Employment

The employer must be trading in Ireland, registered with Revenue and with the Companies Registration Office .The person for whom the work permit is intended must have the qualifications, skills and experience required for the job. They must be directly employed and paid by the employer.

All new applications for General Employment Permits must include evidence that a labour market needs test has been carried out this test may be waived subject to certain criteria being met.

It is also worth noting that there are occupations that are not eligible for employment permits.

If you are a non-EEA national you do not need an employment permit if:

  • You have permission to remain as the spouse, civil partner  or dependant of an Irish or EEA national
  • You are a Swiss national
  • You have been granted refugee status - whether through the normal process or as a programme refugee
  • You have been granted temporary permission to remain on humanitarian grounds, having been in the asylum process
  • You have been granted permission to remain as the parent of an Irish citizen
  • You have specific immigration permission to live and work in Ireland
  • You have business permission to set up a business in Ireland
  • You are a registered student

If you are considering making an application for a Work Permit MSS are here to help

Management Support Services (Ireland) Limited, The Courtyard, Hill Street, Dublin 1