The position will suit a person with a ‘hands on’ approach who wants to experience all aspects of Finance, Accounting and Planning associated with a large club and who is interested in working closely with the wider management team in running the business. Ideally, you will have some experience of sports clubs or equivalent. You will ensure accurate and timely reporting of management accounts and financial statements as well as financial analysis, projections, budgets and annual results and will play a key part in setting and monitoring targets and performance. This position reports directly to the Club Manager with a strong dotted line to the Club Honorary Treasurer.
The critical success factors for the role are:
- - Coordinate and oversee the Club’s budgeting process.
- - Provide leadership, drive and deliver on annual budgets.
- - Manage all aspects of the finance function to include management accounts, annual financial statements, payroll, fixed asset register, receivables, payments and internal controls.
- - Preparation and presentation of financial statements and management accounts and reports to Finance Committee.
- - Work closely with all external parties on audit, insurance, revenue and day to day banking etc.
- - Review and manage cash flow reporting and working capital
Notable aspects of the role are:
- A broad variety of functionality covering General Ledger, Financial Reporting, Payroll, Banking.
- Full end to end view of the business.
- Best of breed IT systems – Jonas, Micropay, E-time.
This is a hands-on accounting role where the Accountant needs to be processing transactions, posting journal entries and preparing and processing payroll.
This allows for great developmental experience for the right person in a broad range of business areas.
Without exception, the staff are courteous and very helpful as would be expected in a club environment.
Experience and qualifications
- - At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role.
- - Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA)
- - Degree in accounting, finance, or a related field.
- - Proficient working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- - Demonstrable ERP system experience.
- - SAGE or Jonas Club Software experience will be a distinct advantage.
- - IPASS, Micro-pay or similar experience.
- - Ability to see the big picture while focusing on the process and procedures necessary to produce deliverables.
- - Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- - Experience working cross functionally with customer facing staff.
- - High level of accuracy.
- - High level of conscientiousness and confidentiality
Detailed activities of the role:
- Month end accounts
- Bank Reconciliations
- Balance Sheet reconciliations
- Accrual and Prepayment monitoring
- Deferred revenue recognition for Events and Training
- Preparation of Monthly Accounts and report
- Regular in month review of departmental Expenses to ensure “no surprises” and smoother month end report out.
- Analysing variances to Budget
- Provide guidance to office staff on accounting matters, Invoice Coding, Accruals, Prepayments etc.
- Preparing Annual Budget
- Cash management and ensuring debt service commitments are met.
- Ensuring compliance with Club financial policies and controls
- Monitoring Capital spend and update Fixed Asset register
- Reporting to Finance and General Committees
- Liaise with Auditors – currently Hayden Brown
- Managing banking relationships
- Insurance renewals.
- Time recording and administration using E-Time
- Payroll processing using SAGE Payroll
- Preparation of Weekly EFT bank payment file on BoI Online
- Generation of weekly Journal Entries using ARW tool.
- Monthly Revenue P30 and Pension Returns
- Ad hoc employee payroll queries